I'm on my wayyyyy...hooome sweeeet hoooooome
(September 29, 2008)
Ahhhhh….the return trip. Am I looking forward to the long flights and smelly people? HECK YES! I can’t wait to get home. We made our way into Dhaka yesterday on a rollercoaster ride. Luckily we had a great driver that managed to pull over to the side of the road in time to avoid several near collisions between large busses. The people seem to be especially in a hurry these days as we get closer and closer to 5:45 when it is time to eat, but as I said we had a great driver. Our van was packed full of people coming into Dhaka from site so I got to sit in the front seat and have the best view. (I’d hate to subject guys to have to sit next to a girl with ‘kooties’ so I graciously offered to sit in the front seat…I know I know – I’m too kind sometimes)
What I found interesting up there (other than have full view of the craziness) was that the windows are not tinted, allowing several stares to be directed my way. And stares I got. As always there are 2 types of looks. FIRST - The kinds that were looks of intrigue or interest. I’d smile at them and they give a big smile back. The kids especially fell into this category, tapping on their friends arm to tell them to get a glimpse before the vehicle moved away. SECOND – there were the stares that were not of joy. Only adults fell into this category, not all of them, but no kids had this look.
Every country I’ve travelled in, whether English speaking or not, there is a basic means of communication and that is by smiling. During the 5 hour ride I smiled at as many people I could and loved seeing the good responses. I have no way to fully understand their daily life, no way to communicate with these people and no way to show my appreciation for the way they forge on with their lives, other than by smiling.. I’m neither a psych major, nor a poet...so I’ll spare you the in-depth thoughts I had for the 5 hours.. but this world fascinates me.
So here I am, back in the hotel. Waiting to go for supper and then catching the late flight out of this city. We are taking the same route home as we took to get here. Dhaka – Hong Kong – Vancouver – Regina. I’m scheduled to land on Tuesday afternoon Regina time…. SEE YOU THEN!!!
xoxox,
Shay
p.s. – are you still humming Motley Crue b/c of the title??

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home