Saturday, December 03, 2005

You know you’ve been somewhere a while when…

Well today was the day that confirmed that I have been here for a while. I was walking home from the markets, a few blocks from my flat and a taxi cab stopped and asked me if I knew where the Saltoun Bar was. Before he started talking I was ready to give him the “I’m sorry I’m not from here” speech...BUT...I actually knew where this was and how to direct him there...me...giving directions to a local cabbie!!! Whoa. I’m sure it had nothing to do with the fact he was looking for a pub. (It happed to be the dodgy little pub that we went into after I was almost run over)

On Wednesday night, the ‘big boss’ brought us all out for supper and a night on the town. Really...do I have to?!? I guess if the boss insists on it, then I’ll force myself to go out on a weeknight and eat a fancy meal for free, followed by a night of beverages and dancing. But what a hassle! Rest assured that no Saturday Night Fever moves were unveiled, but I did manage to bust-a-move. Things you do to keep the client happy. This consulting stuff is rough.

Something that I have accomplished while here is watching an entire season of a sitcom on DVD. I tell ya, this whole watching TV shows on DVD is brilliant!! No commercials, you can go pee whenever you want without missing anything and you never have to guess what happened last week if you missed that episode...perfect. Okay, yeah it’s a little sad that I spent that much time in front of the TV, but since it’s raining ALL THE TIME...walking around outside in the wet darkness just isn’t my idea of fun.

If you’d like to check out what days are like here in Aberdeen, there is a live webcam on the Aberdeen city council website.

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/acc/YourCity/Webcam/default.asp

It refreshes every minute and is definitely live. Today I was on the phone with mom and dad while standing in one of the pictures. Granted I looked like a speck in the picture, but it was me nonetheless. I could make a great version of “Where’s Waldo”, with me and those webcams! Oh think of the possibilities. The site has 3 webcams. One is called “Castlegate cam”. It one overlooks a square near my flat. I walk through it almost every day on my way to Union Street. In the back you can see a church and a roadway…my flat is less than a 10 minute walk from there. Another cam is the “Union Street cam”. This is the main street in town, be-zillions of shops, restaurants, pubs...etc.

After having my “Where’s Shay” session with mom and dad, I was walking up Union Street and noticed that it wass blocked off with rides and vendors set up in the middle of the street. There were the teacups and train rides for the little kids, then a couple big rides for the big kids. One of the rides was a long..no..an extremely long arm, that had a four person “bucket” type seats on either end of the arm. It would swing around so that you were next to the street then way way up in the air. I stood there watching in awe. I think I would have wet myself if I had tried to go one it...No really I would be soaking wet! It was raining buckets as I was standing there. The people would be getting off this ride and their jeans (and maybe their pants, but I never asked) were completely soaked, water streaming off of their hair...the whole bit. It was wild. (Plus I really would have wet myself from fear...at least no one would be able to tell...hahaha)

One week from today I will be flying back to Regina. I leave the morning of the 10th and land in Regina that same night (since I lose/gain hours coming back – I never know which word is correct. I have to set my watch back, so I guess I lose it, but I also have more hours on the 10th than regular, so I’d say I gain it...ahhhhhhhh so confusing.) Either way I will be in Regina on the night of the 10th, Regina time. I’m looking forward to getting home and seeing everyone and staying in my house.

I’ll write before I leave, but I’m sure it’ll be a relaxed week. No nights out, lots of sleep and a stress free work week...uh...yeah...here’s hoping.

Shay-Anne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web stats