9 to 5
When was the last time you heard the song “9 to 5” by Dolly Parton?? Well the first week I was here I heard it every day for 5 days straight...either at a pub, at the gym or even on the radio in the car. Then I heard it twice last week, and again last night... What’s going on? Did this song suddenly make its way to the UK and they are making up for lost time? It’s the weirdest thing...a little spooky.
Work has actually been really busy for me this past week so I unfortunately don’t have a lot to report. It’s been really crazy and I don’t foresee any changes to my work load in the near future. If nothing else it is going to get crazier! ...at least it’ll keep me out of trouble. ;-) Since work has been as hectic as it is...and since ‘9 to 5’ keeps haunting me I decided to look up the lyrics for the song and check for any parallels. (Yes I really did...and yes...be afraid! Purposely googling Dolly Parton...I’m must be loosing my marbles!)
9 to 5
Tumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
And yawn
and stretch
and try to come to life.
Jump in the shower
and the blood starts pumping
Out on the street
the traffic starts jumping
Ok so there are a few differences...I usually don’t have time to stumble to the kitchen since I've left myself no time after hitting the snooze button for the last possible time to quiet the noise I wake up to. You see, I have my radio alarm set to the clearest station I could find, which happens to be a morning sports review show. This means I wake up to a detailed analysis of the previous night’s football (soccer) and cricket highlights called out by people with really thick accents. Yikes. As for my cup of Ambition? I think to really come to life, my recipe would call for Baileys...which they won’t allow (can you believe it?) plus it would probably put me to sleep by lunch time...so that’s out. Jump in the shower...well I’d better be awake before I get in there or else there will be a pool of water on the floor due to miscalculated angles and a lack of a full shower door. One thing that’s very true is that out on the street the traffic does indeed start jumping. But be thankful that I am not driving...AND if I were walking I’d like you to know that I’ve slowly started to look the correct way and have been avoiding those near death experiences!
To be honest, I can’t bring myself to look at the rest of the song. I’ve already seen too much! Maybe I should start making my life more parallel to songs/lyrics like “ I don’t want to work. I just want to bang on my drum all day”...or...”If I had a million dollars...” someday...someday
Well I should be on my way. Have a great day!
Shay
(What do you say? Down by the bay? We’ll eat some hay? Is that the river Tay?....oh I know you guys were thinking it! Go ahead rhyme away!) hahaha...away...I’m so funny...or really really tired!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home