2 inches of snow and the city shuts down!
Aberdeen received its first real snow for the year. Monday night it snowed about 1.5” overnight and all hell broke loose! Schools were closed, Taxis weren’t going out on the road and people were ‘snowed in’ and couldn’t go to work. It snowed again Tuesday night and Wednesday...well...how is anyone supposed to function in the now near 3-4” of snow, not only snow BUT it is at least -8 deg C...STOP EVERYTHING. Hahahaha Wednesday morning I was waiting for the cab to bring me to work, I finally get a call saying that he is out on the road waiting for me and that he can’t make it any closer to my apartment. So I walk about a block and a half to get to his car, and he’s telling me about how he hates the snow and couldn’t possibly make it up the entrance to my flat. The road that he would have been going up was at least a 2 degree incline.
Ok, for those of you reading this not from parts of the world that are currently under more than a foot of snow...like Saskatchewan is...I understand that the above story makes sense. But for me...it’s absolutely CRAZY. The last two days of work everyone received emails saying that the weather conditions are poor, and if anyone needs to go home early they are advised to do so. They also handed around a ‘Winter survival’ brochure. I feel as though I should pack them all up and bring them to Canada…no not just Canada...Saskatchewan, to realize that life can exist at temperatures below zero and with more than 5 inches of snow. Maybe that will be my new purpose in life, making other come to the freezing climate and surviving. Nah...
I am now safe and sound back in Regina. I flew in on Thursday as opposed to Friday so that I could overlap with some of the crew that are on their way to Aberdeen this weekend. It’s great to be home! Unfortunately I have yet to truly appreciate my own bed! I didn’t get home until after midnight, then had to shower to clean off the grossness that comes with traveling on planes for an entire day. Then at 4:00 in the morning I was WIDE awake, I guess my body still thought it should be 10:00 am and the fact that I have made it function for 24 hours without sleep the entire previous day didn’t mean anything. I predict an early one tonight!
I made it safely... no snotty finger lickers... I get to hang out with Danny... going on a holiday to visit with my family... All is perfect...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home